Belize in January: Where to Go and What to Do
Why Visit Belize in January 2023
When the cold winter winds blow, dumping snow and ice on North America, the best place to be in January is Belize. With clear skies and lovely balmy temperatures, you can swim in the warm waters of the Caribbean or simply sun yourself on one of the sugar sand beaches. If you’re looking for something more adventurous, you can explore the tropical rain forests, cruise up jungle rivers to spot birds or go snorkeling off the biggest coral reef in the Western Hemisphere.
Belize is also a great place to ring in the New Year, giving your soul, mind, and body a chance to rejuvenate and start off fresh.
Belize Events and Festivals in January
- New Year’s Day – Every country celebrates the first day of the year, but Belizeans do it in style, with dancing, parties, parades, and plenty of live music.
- Krem New Year’s Cycling Classic – The largest bicycle race in the country kicks off within Corozal Town, heading south towards the finish line in Belize about 4 hours later. Hundreds of participants, including cyclists from Belize, Guatemala, Mexico, and elsewhere eagerly follow the action, with a huge party in Belize City afterward.
- January 18 – The country honors the legacy of Martin Luther King, Junior.
Top Things to Do and See in Belize in January
- Ring in the New Year’s the Belize way!
- Cheer on the racers in the Krem New Years Cycling Classic
- Snorkeling in the rich waters off of the Belize Barrier Reef, home to the world’s second-largest coral reef, and home to thousands of colorful fish, sharks, and other forms of marine life
- Explore one of the hundreds of Maya ruins
- Ride a zip line through the tropical canopy of a rainforest
- Go tubing down the Caves Branch River, zipping through an amazing set of underground caves
- Spot a jaguar at the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary
- Work on your suntan on one of Belize’s hundreds of beaches
- Relax in a hammock strung between palm trees on a genuine tropical island
- Dive into the Great Blue Hole, or alongside the great Belize Barrier Reef
What is the Belize Weather Like in January
January is probably the best time to visit Belize, as long as you love warm sunny skies, balmy nights, and a refreshing breeze. January is in the middle of the dry season, Belize’s version of summer, although the occasional “norther” comes through, rainstorms that bring refreshing cool air. During the day, highs average in the low 80s Fahrenheit, while nights cool down to a very comfortable low to mid-70s Fahrenheit.
Visit Belize in January
Simply put, January is one of the best months to come to visit Belize. With a rocking New Year’s Eve party and plenty of excitement on New Year’s Day, visiting Belize is a great way to refresh, renew, and reinvigorate your mind, body, and soul. Whether you’re interested in exploring the rich abundance of nature, soaking in the colorful local culture, or simply relaxing in a hammock on the beach, there’s something for everyone in Belize during January.