The Top 15 Honeymoon Resorts in Belize
After all the stress and hectic planning for the wedding, why not relax in beautiful laid-back Belize? Just a short flight from the United States, Belize is a tropical paradise that is far less crowded than more typical honeymoon destinations like Cancun, Mexico and the Cayman Islands.
Home to the second largest coral reef in the world that is habitat to hundreds of species of fish, nurse sharks, sea turtles and colorful plants, Belize is a marine paradise that offers world class snorkeling, scuba diving and fishing.
Inland Belize on the other hand, is known for its pristine rainforests, ancient Mayan cities and a plethora of exotic flora and fauna. Bird-watching, hiking, canoeing in jungle rivers and cave tubing in sacred caves are top rated adventures for honeymooners.
Honeymoons Destinations in Belize
At the tip of the Placencia Peninsula is a quiet village where you can enjoy fine dining, boutique cafes, and dive shops with a full range of gear.
San Ignacio Town in Belize’s Cayo District is the entertainment and culture capital of the west, and is close to some of the most impressive Mayan ruins in the country.
Ambergris Caye, the most popular tourist destination is where you will find a potpourri of world class luxury resorts, amazing gourmet restaurants and endless activities like snorkeling, sailing, and windsurfing.
Belize Honeymoon Resorts
Picture yourself as a child, standing in front of a bakery display case after being told to choose just one treat. Perusing honeymoon resort destinations online can render you just as helpless, which is why we have narrowed down your choices to Belize’s top 15. See which strikes a romantic chord with you and your honey.
1. Chabil Mar is a beach honeymoon resort in Placencia Belize and it has been given so many honors, you might think it a huge place, but there are just 19 villas on premises plus one breathtaking honeymoon suite. Privacy is paramount at this luxury resort. Couples can roam 400 feet of oceanfront, swim in Chabil Mar’s infinity pools or stroll to town for some local color. See if this isn’t your honeymoon destination: http://www.chabilmarvillas.com/.
Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort
2. Named Belize’s Hotel of the Year, Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort (http://www.hamanasi.com/) is a favourite of active honeymooners keen to scuba dive and have fun! This eco-friendly establishment was given a PADI 5-star Gold Palm Resort award for offering guests unique diving experiences. Located near Hopkins, the Hamanasi menu of attractions and experiences can take a honeymooning couple’s breath away.
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
3. Blue Marlin Beach Resort. Romantic candlelight dinners. Couples massages. Day trips–if you’ve a mind to see jungles, rainforests, the barrier reef and more. Choose Blue Marlin for your honeymoon if you support family-owned businesses, since it’s been owned and managed by the same Belizean family for nearly 30 years. Your marriage could last even longer if you honeymoon here! http://www.bluemarlinlodge.com/.
Yok Ha Island Resort
4. Yok Ha Island Resort. Book this resort if honeymooning on a three acre island surrounded by the sea is your idea of perfection. Since there are only five cabanas on the island, privacy isn’t a term—it’s a promise. Indulge in watersports—kayaking, fishing or snorkeling–or reserve a hammock for two and daydream. Meals are prepared onsite and the bar overlooking the Belize Barrier Reef make this the ideal place to toast the future.
Bocawina Rainforest Resort
5. Bocawina Rainforest Resort(http://www.mamanootsbocawina.com/). Does the idea of a heart-pounding honeymoon appeal to you? Book your honeymoon at a resort featuring authentic tropical housing within a rainforest. Zipline. Repel waterfalls. Hike. Go cave tubing. This lush forest resort pays tribute to ecological responsibility. Stay here and your friends’ honeymoon photos won’t hold a candle to yours!
6. Victoria House (http://www.victoria-house.com/) This 42-room accommodation is big enough to amaze but intimate enough for an idyllic honeymoon. Victoria’s “Reef Romance” package congratulates you in style: From all-inclusive romantic dinners, a couple’s massage and snorkel equipment, Victoria House makes a perfect choice if, like Goldilocks, you don’t like your resorts too small or too large, but just right!
San Ignacio Resort
7. San Ignacio Resort (http://www.sanignaciobelize.com/) resembles a palace, so it stands to reason you’ll be treated like royalty. Centrally located in San Ignacio Town, the former private estate has acquired the nickname “the only jungle in town” because it’s situated in a lush enclave, yet it’s close enough to town to enjoy nightlife. The honeymoon package could close the deal on your destination choice.
Almond Beach Resort
8. The Almond Beach Resort (http://www.almondbeachbelize.com/) is a serene retreat for honeymooners, so whether you choose a thatch-roof casita, ocean view room or beachfront penthouse suite, your views of the Caribbean Sea will be captivating. When you take a cuddle break, indulge in spa services, adventure outings and the resort’s signature “Jetlag Defrag Treatment” offered only to honeymooners.
9. Turtle Inn. Stay at the Turtle Inn (http://www.coppolaresorts.com/turtleinn) and be the guest of Francis Ford Coppola who built this retreat after Hurricane Iris ravaged the area. You might run into famous family members during your stay! This 25-room resort is a study in delightful contradictions: outside, quaint thatch-roofs are an homage to native housing, but interiors are modern and gorgeous. Wine? It comes from the Coppola vineyard, of course.
Cahal Pech Village Resort
10. Cahal Pech Village Resort. If ancient Mayan ruins are on your mind, put Cahal Pech (www.cahalpech.com) atop honeymoon destination list. Located near the town of San Ignacio, this resort’s contemporary objective is to treat honeymooners like the Mayan royalty who lived here thousands of years ago. Snorkeling, fishing, jungle walks and more are conveniently located if you need a break from the ruins.
11. Thatch Caye’s (http://www.thatchcayebelize.com/) biggest draw is over-the-water bungalows with private decks that give guests a perpetual 180-degree view of Mother Nature’s glory. Private? Mais oui! There are only five bungalows and they’re beloved by repeat travelers, so honeymooners are wise to book early to reserve one. Check out all-inclusive packages if you are sick of making wedding-related decisions!
Portofino Beach Resort
12. Portofino Beach Resort (http://portofinobelize.com/). Whether this is your first honeymoon or your third, if you stay at Portofino you can design your package around your desires. If diving in the world-famous Blue Hole is on your bucket list, say the word. Ditto water sports and Mayan ruin tours. From spa massages to the extras that make a honeymoon memorable, Portofino doesn’t disappoint.
Las Terrazas Resort
13. Las Terrazas Resort. Make Ambergris Caye your honeymoon headquarters by booking at La Terrazas. Choose anything from a 3,000-square-foot penthouse to a quaint beachfront sea house at this luxury resort (http://www.lasterrazasresort.com/), and enjoy the amenities of an award-winning hotel. This resort even includes a sunset sail for two within its honeymoon package perks.
Laru Beya Resort
14. Laru Beya’s Garifuna translation is “on the beach,” which may be exactly how you two wish to spend your entire honeymoon since there’s a hammock on every balcony and love is in the air. Laru Beya (www.larubeya.com) is located on the Placencia Peninsula, so if you crave nightlife, it’s just a short walk away. Don’t forget to book the rooftop Jacuzzi on a starry night if you stay here!
15. The Grand Caribe (www.grandcaribebelize.com) is truly grand—the resort is huge, yet accommodations for newlyweds—like the “bedroom on the beach”—set an intimate mood. Indulge in a honeymoon basket of chocolate, fruit, crackers and cheese while sipping celebratory wine upon your arrival. By day, go catamaran sailing and snorkeling, but your favorite memory will likely be candlelight dining on your first full day as a married couple.