As the sweltering sun greets the idyllic landscape of Belize, summer’s arrival is signaled. Belize, a haven nestled between Mexico and Guatemala, offers an abundance of activities that could make any adventurer’s heart sing.
Here are the top 30 things to do this summer in Belize and where to do them:
1. Dive in the Great Blue Hole (Lighthouse Reef)
Start your summer with a deep dive into the world’s most famous sea sinkhole, home to various species of sharks and vibrant coral formations.
2. Explore Caracol Maya Ruins (Cayo District)
Time travel to the Maya civilization and explore the mystical city of Caracol, including Caana, the Sky Palace, the tallest man-made structure in the country.
3. Wildlife Spotting at Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary (Stann Creek District)
As the world’s first jaguar reserve, this sanctuary offers jungle trails that may reward you with sightings of tapirs, jaguars, and ocelots.
4. Canoeing in Barton Creek Cave (Cayo District)
Drift in a canoe under the stalactites of this ancient cave, once used by the Mayas for ceremonial purposes.
5. Snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley (Ambergris Caye)
Get up close and personal with nurse sharks and stingrays in this part of the Hol Chan Marine Reserve.
6. Visit Belize Zoo (Belize District)
Meet Belize’s indigenous animals, including the elusive jaguar and the adorable tapir.
7. Zip-lining at Bocawina Rainforest (Stann Creek District)
Soar above the lush jungle and experience Belize’s wildlife and fauna from a bird’s eye view.
8. Go River Tubing at Nohoch Che’en Caves Branch (Cayo District)
Float lazily along the river and soak in the stunning cave formations and surrounding tropical forest.
9. Bird Watching at Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary (Belize District)
Spot an array of exotic bird species, including Belize’s national bird, the keel-billed toucan.
10. Hike Victoria Peak (Stann Creek District)
Challenge yourself with a strenuous hike to Belize’s second-highest peak and be rewarded with breathtaking views.
11. Chocolate Making at Ixcacao (Toledo District)
Learn about the ancient Maya tradition of chocolate-making in this authentic farm-to-bar experience.
12. Visit Xunantunich Mayan Ruins (Cayo District)
Cross the Mopan River on a hand-cranked ferry to visit this remarkable Maya site known for the majestic El Castillo structure.
13. Kayaking at Glover’s Reef Atoll (Southern Belize)
Paddle around this pristine World Heritage site, and marvel at the abundant marine life.
14. Eat Lobster in Placencia (Stann Creek District)
Savour succulent lobster during the annual Placencia Lobsterfest, held every July.
15. Explore ATM Cave (Cayo District)
Hike, wade, and swim in this “Cave of the Crystal Sepulchre,” where you’ll find preserved Maya artifacts and remains.
16. Fishing in Ambergris Caye
The turquoise waters are abundant with bonefish, tarpon, and barracuda, making it a paradise for fly-fishing enthusiasts.
17. Horseback Riding at Banana Bank Lodge (Cayo District)
Traverse jungle paths on horseback, with the chance to spot exotic birds and howler monkeys.
18. Explore the Butterfly Farm at Chaa Creek (Cayo District)
Walk amidst beautiful, colorful butterflies in this unique farm. Learn about their lifecycle, from caterpillar to butterfly.
19. Relax on the Beaches of Caye Caulker
Bask in the sun on this island’s tranquil beaches, and cool down in the azure waters.
20. Jungle Survival Course at Ian Anderson’s Caves Branch Jungle Lodge (Cayo District)
Learn how to survive in the wild with a comprehensive course taught by local bushmen.
21. Visit the Museum of Belize (Belize City)
Gain an understanding of Belize’s rich history, from its Mayan roots to its days as a British colony.
22. Hiking in Mayflower Bocawina National Park (Stann Creek District)
Discover unexcavated Maya ruins and hidden waterfalls on these challenging jungle trails.
23. Manatee Watching at Swallow Caye Wildlife Sanctuary (Belize District)
Delight in watching these gentle sea giants in their natural habitat.
24. Visit San Pedro Town (Ambergris Caye)
Immerse yourself in local culture with a trip to this bustling town, known for its vibrant nightlife, delectable seafood, and artisanal crafts.
25. Sail the Barrier Reef
Hop on a catamaran and set sail along the world’s second-longest barrier reef, spotting colorful corals, fish, and maybe even dolphins.
26. Explore Punta Gorda (Toledo District)
Experience Belize’s melting pot of cultures in this southernmost town, with its vibrant market and live music scene.
27. Eat at Elvi’s Kitchen (Ambergris Caye)
Feast on traditional Belizean cuisine in this famous establishment. Don’t miss the Maya Buffet on Friday nights!
28. Tour Lamanai Mayan Ruins (Orange Walk District)
Reached via a scenic boat ride along the New River, Lamanai is one of the most impressive Maya sites in Belize.
29. Stargaze on Half Moon Caye (Lighthouse Reef)
At night, this World Heritage site transforms into an observatory under a blanket of stars – a truly magical experience.
30. Visit Hopkins Village (Stann Creek District)
Dive into Garifuna culture in this charming coastal village. Take a drumming lesson or try traditional Garifuna cuisine.
There you have it, 30 of the best ways to spend your summer in Belize. With its wealth of natural beauty, fascinating history, and rich culture, Belize truly offers an unforgettable summer adventure for all.