10 Things Not To Miss In Belize
Not everybody comes to Belize to burrow in the sand, contemplate the Caribbean Sea or down at least one beer at every bar in the vicinity! Travelers dedicated to healthy lifestyles are onboard every plane landing in Belize and for some, the only place they like to stay is on Turneffe, an atoll that’s small and intimate. That stated, lodgings like Turneffe Island Resort offer so many diversions, the little island feels much bigger. These 10 suggestions offer lots of variety, but you’re bound to discover more.
1. Go bird watching. There are more than 300 species of birds in Belize and if you have an interest in doing so, you can book a specialized birding excursion through Turneffe Island Resort that’s fun and educational.
2. Guided snorkel trips are also on the Turneffe Resort activity menu. Learn this thrilling water sport from a seasoned guide. If you’re already an expert and want to see how this area compares to other geographic locations, why not book multiple outings?
3. Take a kayak out and paddle your way to vacation fitness. You’ll wear a lifejacket, whether you’re an experienced kayaker or a newbie, and as a guest of the resort, there’s no fee for taking a kayak out.
4. Try paddle boarding. Left your board at home? No worries. Your Turneffe Resort hosts will fix you up. Request a picnic lunch before heading to the beach if you plan to spend the day mastering this sport.
5. Assist with Belize’s efforts to rid waters surrounding the area of non-indigenous predators like Lion Fish. Make plans to hunt them after reading this article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/lionfish-hunting-in-belize/2012/10/18/3d2ef39e-16fd-11e2-a55c-39408fbe6a4b_story.html.
6. Book Turneffe’s Tuesday excursion to Lighthouse Reef Atoll, the Blue Hole dive epicenter and the Booby Bird Sanctuary. Ask your guide to make sure your trip includes a visit to “The Aquarium.”
7. Indulge in a game of volleyball once you’ve had your fill of watersports. After you’ve won your match and declared yourself a winner, take a luxurious shower using complimentary Crabtree & Evelyn bath products.
8. Ask Turneffe Island Resort staff for horseshoe equipment. Play by yourself or challenge another guest if you can find one! This 20 guestroom resort is known for intimate accommodations that include private patios, panoramic views of the Caribbean and access to the beach, so if you don’t spot other guests, don’t be surprised!
9. Swim laps in the Turneffe Resort pool. It’s the ultimate in luxury: the heated, fresh-water pool invites you to aquasize as often as you like. Book a massage after your swim to re-hydrate skin if you’ve spent lots of time in the water.
10. Take long walks around the island to treat your senses to the sights, sounds and fragrances of Turneffe. This won’t take much effort, nor will it burn many calories, but if you’ve been good about keeping fit during your visit, you deserve a leisurely walk around Turneffe, where travelers come as strangers and leave as friends.