13 Reasons Ben and Liz Were Thrilled to Honeymoon in Belize!
When Ben proposed to Liz, the two busy executives barely had time to plan a wedding, much less a honeymoon, so when a friend suggested Belize, the pair blinked and said in unison: “What’s Belize?” Their friend didn’t work for the Belize tourism board but after she described this Caribbean paradise, they were so intrigued, they did some research and never considered a second destination. Here’s why:
1. When Ben learned that Belize’s first language is English, he was sold. Upon arrival, they spotted so many laughing, smiling Belizean faces, they realized that friendly, helpful people are the rule, not the exception.
2. Liz realized that their favorite carrier—Southwest—could fly them to Belize since they recently added routes to compete with American, Delta, United and local airlines. Southwest even gave them a wedding gift: frequent flyer miles.
3. The couple agreed that they could do it all in Belize. Ben’s idea of relaxation? A hammock and sandy beach. Liz’s idea of fun–scuba, snorkel, zip line, repelling and nature preserves. Compromise would be necessary!
4. The newlyweds were pleased to learn that safety is a priority for the Belize tourism industry, so they felt reassured that their honeymoon would be a fun, secure experience.
5. Liz and Ben simplified their planning by contacting Break Away Travel on the Internet, putting their arrangements into the hands of Efren Perez and his creative Break Away staff after a personal phone call.
6. Because the newlyweds could afford luxury accommodations, they were surprised to learn from Efren how affordable Belize lodgings can be. Together, they found the ideal setting for the couple’s romantic honeymoon.
7. Liz and Ben were charmed by their private suite. Lush tropical gardens made them feel cloistered in green; chilled champagne, world-famous Belize chocolates and fruit awaited them. A “Do Not Disturb” sign hung on the door.
8. The couple met with the concierge to arrange excursions once they settled in. On their priority list were ancient Mayan ruins, and when they learned about Belize’s caves, they were eager to experience them first.
9. The honeymooners met other newlyweds at their lodgings. After exchanging business cards, the couples promised to keep in touch. Making new friends just comes naturally in Belize!
10. Neither Liz nor Ben expected as much culinary diversity, so they were elated. Neither expected savory street vendor fare to be so addicting. Before leaving paradise, the couple admitted to having succumbed to the lure of Belize wines and beers.
11. Since the couple wanted more cultural insights, Break Away arranged a private tour that included a Garifuna village, Creole community and Mennonite farms. On the journey, they fell in love with Belize’s vibrant music scene and picked up CDs to take home.
12. As their honeymoon neared an end, Ben and Liz did something they hadn’t planned on: they borrowed kayaks from their resort hosts and paddled around to see atolls, cayes and tiny islands that served as home to hundreds of roosting birds.
13. The couple left Belize reluctantly, making a list of things to see next time, including the Big Blue Hole, the Belize barrier reef and the habitats of endangered species protected by Belize’s laws. The last thing they did as they taxied down the runway for home? Write a note: “Memo to Break Away staff: You rock!”