10 Reasons Why You Should Vacation at This Private Island in Belize
Private Island in Belize
If you find beach resorts too crowded and need a respite from chattering heads, sand-kicking kids and vast expanses of humanity, a private island located just nine miles off south-central Belize should suit your fancy. Specifically, Thatch Caye Resort. This private island may be small, but here you can find everything you desire for a memorable stay on this 11-acre paradise, including peace and quiet. Here are 10 reasons to visit soon.
1. It’s private. Sorry to repeat the obvious, but that’s the draw of this island. This is not your cup of tea if you prefer a hectic schedule of places to eat, things to see and do. Find like-minded people here; if you don’t want to talk to any of them, that’s your prerogative.
2. It’s gorgeous. Even jaded island hoppers are impressed by the lush scenery within the 11 acre marine park sprawling across the island. Treat your eyes to a feast of wildlife and picture-postcard vistas within this 117,878 acre marine reserve that’s located just a kayak away from a world-famous bird sanctuary.
3. It’s ecologically unique. Thatch Caye was carved out of a wilderness without using a single piece of heavy machinery or equipment. Auxiliary to tourist amenities, the island uses off-grid power generation methods like solar and wind so nothing disturbs the quiet.
4. It’s temperate. Gentle ocean breezes offer Mother Nature’s finest air conditioning, so whether you book your trip to Thatch Caye in June or January, you can anticipate avoiding extreme, stifling heat found elsewhere.
5. It’s boat-friendly. Dock your sailboat, cruiser or other boat at the island marina for a day or a stay. Five moorings await sailors and even the marine entrance to Thatch Caye forms a protected waterway.
6. It’s provisioned. Local chefs at Thatch Central, the resort’s eatery, prepare everything from Belizean to international cuisine. Find a full Belizean breakfast, light lunches and dinner plates heaped with seafood paella, roast pork tenderloin and other enticing dinner entrees. Need a people fix? Head for the Starfish Bar.
7. It’s sporty. Even if the lack of humanity on this private island beckons, you might want to interact with others to take advantage of kayaking, paddle boarding or shore snorkeling. The gear you need to engage in these activities is complimentary.
8. It’s cozy. Accommodations are coffee table book-worthy and utterly romantic. Choose between thatch-roofed casitas, bungalows, cabanas or family villas. Each has comfy beds, ensuite baths, private balconies and hammocks. Built at the water’s edge, there’s no charge for lullabies made up of gentle, lapping waves.
9. It’s bilingual. This private island gets plenty of English-speaking guests so you won’t need translation apps or books to enjoy this gorgeous place. Whether you need a guide for your saltwater fishing expedition or help identifying marine life, there are no “lost in translation” moments at Thatch Caye.
10. It’s heaven. If you’re eyeing Thatch Caye because it’s away from the madding crowd, you’re going to leave thinking that the folks with whom you interact on the island aren’t half bad! From the aquarium gracing the marina to one-of-a-kind sunsets, connecting boardwalks and the peace you crave, this private island has it all!