Why Visit Belize in May
May is a great month to visit Belize
May is a great month to visit Belize because numerous resorts, hotels, and tour companies offer huge discounts on accommodations, tours, and all inclusive vacation packages making it affordable for travelers to enjoy an exquisite and amazing Belize vacation.
The weather is also fantastic in May and there are endless activities that you can partake in such as scuba diving with whale sharks, exploring the Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave, bird watching in the rainforest, and taking a dip at Belize’s top waterfalls like Big Rock and Rio on Pools in the Mountain Pine Ridge.
Another big reason to visit Belize in May is that there are fewer tourists in the country and thus you can enjoy all of the top attractions thoroughly and without rushing.
Belize Events and Festivals in May
There are a number of top events and festivals that you cannot afford to miss if you visit in May. Two of these popular events are the Cashew and the Chocolate Festivals.
The Cashew Festival
The Annual Cashew Festival highlights the many products and by-products of the cashew tree along with live music, games, Caribbean dishes, and even cashew wine. The event is held in Crooked Tree Village in Northern Belize.
Toledo Cacoa Festival
The Chocolate Festival of Belize is a three-day celebration of chocolate in the Toledo District and is held every Commonwealth Day Holiday Weekend (late May). The event was designed to raise awareness of the Toledo District as a responsible tourism destination, and this year, it is scheduled from May 19 -21st 2017.
Other celebrations that take place in May are Mother’s Day and Commonwealth or Sovereign’s Day.
Things to do and see in Belize in May
- Visit Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave in Cayo District – This sacred cave was once used by the ancient Maya for religious sacrifices.
- Visit Tikal in Guatemala – Just across the border from Belize is Tikal Mayan Ruins, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that was once a large Mayan metropolis.
- Visit Xunantunich and Cahal Pech Mayan Ruins – Two of the most enchanting Mayas sites in western Belize.
- Go Snorkeling or Scuba Diving With Whale Sharks – Every year, migrating schools of whale sharks arrive in the waters off the coast of southern Belize.
- Bird watching in Belize – May is a great month to go bird watching in Belize and one of the top places to go on a birding tour is El Pilar Mayan Ruins.
- Check out Big Rock Waterfalls and Rio on Pools – These two waterfalls are located in the Mountain Pine Ridge reserve, one of the largest nature reserves in the Cayo District.
What is the weather like in May
May is one of the warmer months in Belize. The weather climbs to an average high of 87°F or 31°C and falls to around 79°F or 26°C, with an overall monthly average of 82°F or 28°C.
Visit Belize in May
Because May is the beginning of the low season in Belize’s tourism industry, you can take advantage of huge discounts on accommodations, tours, and all inclusive vacation packages. You can also not afford to miss The Cashew and Chocolate Festivals. Since the weather is sunny and warm and there are fewer crowds at Belize’s top attractions, you will definitely have a great time if you visit Belize in May.