How to Make Belizean Sweet Potato Pound
If travel is a bit out of your grasp but you want a delicious taste of Belize, the next best thing is to make something iconic to that Central American country. Provided below is a recipe for Sweet Potato Pound, also known as “Pone.” This is a dessert that is loaded with flavor and sweetness while possessing a texture akin to bread pudding but you are saturating sweet potatoes with everything instead of stale bread.
- Sweet potatoes, 3 lbs
- Butter, 1/4 cup
- Sugar, 1.25 lbs
- Milk, coconut, 28 ounces
- Milk, evaporated, 14 ounces
- Vanilla, 1 tbsp
- Raisins, 1/4 cup
- Ginger, grated, 2 tbsp
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grate your sweet potatoes, taking care not to cut your knuckles in the process.
- Add sugar and coconut milk into a bowl, stirring until the sugar fully dissolves. Add the evaporated milk, butter, vanilla and raisins to the sugar-coconut milk.
- Stir everything until you have a proper mixture and pour it into a 9″ x 11″ baking pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes.
While the above recipe is a traditional pone recipe, we acknowledge that some people have dietary concerns. Provided below is an alternative recipe that is suitable for anyone trying to remain vegan or abstain from grains.
- Sweet potato, 6 cups, grated
- Raisins, 3/4 cup
- Sugar, cane, 1.5 cups
- Ginger, 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon, 1 tsp
- Milk, almond, 3 cups
- Vanilla, 2 tsp
- Oil or vegan butter, 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and grease a 9″ ×13″ rectangular baking dish.
- Mix sweet potatoes, raisins, ginger, cinnamon, cane sugar and vanilla into a large bowl.
- Add milk and the butter or oil to the same bowl, stirring until everything is fully incorporated. Pour this mixture into your dish.
- Bake on the bottom rack for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F. Transfer the dish to your top shelf and bake for one hour or until the top turns golden brown.