10 reasons to Visit Ambergris Caye at Thanksgiving
How many reasons do you need to say thanks for the opportunity to jettison the work and the stress involved in hosting a Thanksgiving dinner at home in favor of celebrating in Ambergris Caye, Belize’s #1 destination? You might not need all 10 to justify your trip, but in case you feel conflicted about abandoning the shopping, preparation and clean-up associated with this time of year, it can’t hurt to have a few reasons in reserve just in case you start to waffle!
1. Snorkel on Thanksgiving Day. Send home photos to friends and relatives whose most exciting experience is likely to be watching that day’s football games. You can watch the games, too—after you return from snorkeling where an underworld paradise that defies description may rival the most exciting touchdown.
2. Prepare the Thanksgiving dinner of your dreams if you choose Ambergris Caye as your holiday destination and the Pelican Reef Villas as your holiday headquarters. These luxury two and three bedroom condos are spacious and the kitchens alone make meal prep a breeze!
3. Make celebrating Thanksgiving on Ambergris Caye the excuse you’ve sought to justify diving into hot spots within spectacular Caribbean waters. Once you conquer those depths, you’ll be ready to sit down to a traditional turkey dinner at the restaurant of your choice. Sick of turkey? Substitute traditional Belize fare.
4. Go fish! Not the card game, silly pilgrim. Belize on Thanksgiving is your opportunity to plumb ocean depths like no fishing expedition you’ve experienced in the past. Charter a boat or join a party of others who are as delighted to spend the holiday with a rod in hand as you are. Ask your Pelican Reef hosts to arrange your trip and they’ll take care of the details.
5. Give thanks for the most remarkable scenery and wildlife in Belize. Not many people know that turkeys are indigenous to this region and while you might not run into live birds if you opt to explore a jungle or rainforest, you won’t have a hard time imagining why so many protected species are content to live here.
6. Spend the day on the beach. Take a refreshing swim or contemplate the clear, calm turquoise sea. Make the rounds of a few of Ambergris Caye’s lively bars for cocktails and conversation with U.S. and Canadian visitors and ex-pats happy to tell you why they’re thankful to have immigrated to Belize!
7. Book a tubing adventure through the Pelican Reef concierge to make vivid Thanksgiving memories. Settle into a huge rubber inner tube for a leisurely float into caves that mystify and fascinate even travelers who have seen it all. Kids find limestone and crystal-embellished Mayan artifacts in these caves creepy and fascinating.
8. Go cold turkey on a zipline adventure that tests your willingness to go to extremes! This pulse-elevating activity will send you flying along jungle treetops. Once you overcome the fear and feel the joy, you’re ready for a lunch that closely approximates a Thanksgiving meal with a Belize twist: Savory stewed chicken.
9. Give thanks for the artful masseuses at the Pelican Reef by getting a massage. Choose your favorite: therapeutic, deep tissue, sports, couples or reflexology. You may wish to take your Thanksgiving meal before your spa appointment time, because you might not have the energy to pick up a fork afterward!
10. Stroll Ambergris Caye’s environs to learn about the island beloved by tourists from North America, many of whom have made Belize their homes. Pelican Reef is just 2.5 miles from the lively town of San Pedro where eateries, street vendors and gift shops add a fun new alternative to your traditional Thanksgiving celebration.