How to Make Belizean Black Relleno Soup
While Belize is known for its parties and food,some occasions call for a little something extra. One notable dish is black relleno chicken soup. This delicious and filling dish involves chicken, eggs, ground pork and a few ingredients unique to Belize. It is a delicious dish, served throughout the year but most Belizeans love to cook it in late December and into New Year’s Day. If you plan on making this dish, you should understand the unique ingredients its recipe calls for.
Known as “wormseed” in English, epasote is a leafy vegetable that can be had as a tea and carries flavors similar to oregano or tarragon. Black recado is a smokey Mayan paste made from chilies, garlic, allspice and several other spices.
Here is how to make the Belizean Black Relleno Soup.
- One chicken, whole
- Pepper, black, 1 tsp
- Salt, 1 tsp
- Fat, 1 tsp
- Oil, vegetable, 1 tbsp
- Onion, white, one, diced
- Pepper, sweet, one, diced
- Tomatoes, whole, two, chopped
- Garlic, 1.5 tsp, minced
- Oregano leaves, 2 tsp, crushed
- Epasote leaves, two or three, crumbled
- Ground pork, 2 lbs.
- Eggs, two, raw
- Eggs, eight, hard-boiled and peeled
- Black recado square, one
- Clean the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a frying pain and add fat to it.
- Rub salt, black pepper, onions, garlic and both types of leaves into the pork.
- Place the seasoned ground pork mix into your frying pan and fry it up until it reaches “well done.” Remember to frequently turn the meat during this step.
- Take the pork off of the heat and combine your raw eggs with it until you have an even blending of the two ingredients.
- Fill the seasoned chicken with your pork, making sure to insert one whole hard-boiled egg after each handful of pork. Keep doing this until you run out of pork and eggs.
- Sew up the stuffed chicken.
- Boil the chicken in enough water to completely immerse the carcass.
- Add your black recado to a single cup of water. Mix it up until it softens and then add the recado, sweet peppers and tomatoes to the pot of chicken.
- Turn the chicken often as it boils to give it a proper cook.
- Serve and enjoy!